Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Spirit of Giving

Today was a beautiful day. I had the opportunity to give my mother an early Christmas present. It is a gift I have wanted to give her for a very, very long time. She was incredibly grateful for her present, but I can't help thinking I got the better end of the stick. As I watched my mom's enthusiasm and joy, my heart overflowed. I loved shopping for her gift (partly because I just LOVE to shop) and I loved giving my mother - the woman who gave me life and raised me lovingly in her home for 21 years - a present. One of those wonderful presents that she has wanted her whole life and never received.

I love giving because of how good it makes me feel inside. Giving has honestly become one of my selfish little treats. I just can't beat that feeling of knowing I made somebody's day. I find that rings true with my children and husband, as well. When I consciously think of what they want and try to make their little wishes come true (like peanut butter and honey for lunch, instead of peanut butter and jelly), I feel happy and fulfilled as a person. Sometimes it is easier than other times, but the payoff of giving far outweighs the cost.

2 comments:

Castiel Moyes said...

So now I want to know what the present was?

Leslee said...

All I can say is THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...