Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Christmas for Carol #1

I hate German Chocolate cake. You must understand this first and foremost, or nothing that follows will seem extraordinary to you.

After reading my post about a homemade Christmas, my mother-in-law put in her request for a homemade gift for her for 2009. She asked for 12 months of Christmas service. Holy Smokes! So I agreed to do one service project a month for the next 12 months as a Christmas gift. Now mind you, she does not mean for the service projects to be for her, but in January it just turned out that way.

Last week I got a call from her asking me to make a German Chocolate cake for a party she was throwing. Having never made a German Chocolate cake and absolutely detesting every single German Chocolate I have had the misfortune to taste, I decided to take on the challenge.

What you see here are the fruits of 4 hours of cake labor. I had to make two cakes to get it four layers and big enough. Actual start to finsh time was 1:00pm to almost 1:00am - I got in four hours of cake time in-between dinner, kids, piano lessons, a visit to select Djeryd's new glasses, and a much needed 30 minute respite at the library (all by myself!!!).

But, oh, my gosh! it was so worth it!

My one disappointment is how the decorative icing turned out. I iced the cake at about 12:15 in the morning. The icing was still quite warm, and so did not hold its shape. All that hard work (and scrumptious taste) without the perfect packaging. Grrr. But, as they say, perfection is over-rated. Just eat the cake.

P.S. My husband, who hates coconut on anything said this is the best cake he's ever eaten. Here's the recipe link: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2005/09/german_chocolat_1.html

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Diane said...

mmmmmm, it looks absolutely delightful! Thanks for the link, I will have to try it out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...