Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Heroes


What defines a hero? To me, it is someone who steps in and saves the day (or me) when I can't do it myself. Yesterday my car died (again - but that's another story, all about car batteries and jumper cables and the falsehoods of batteries exploding that have been passed down for generations). Thankfully it died while I was at Sean's work (a rare occasion - me being at Sean's work - not the car dying). My wonderful father-in-law braved the dirty ground with nothing but a hammer, a screwdriver, and the underside of my car to take his mind off the FREEZING cold. (Admittedly the hammer and screwdriver almost made me burst out laughing. I mean if a car engine just needs to be whacked a few times with a hammer in order to work, I would make a great mechanic.) He listened to things click on and off in the engine and magically knew exactly what the problem was. Two minutes, and a few good whacks with the hammer (in just the right place - maybe I would not make a very good mechanic) and my car was running and willing to take me home.

He was my hero yesterday. That made me think of the other heroes in my life. My dad, for one. How do guys know so much about cars (and why doesn't my sweet computer-programming husband)? In all fairness to my auto-mechanically challenged husband, he is AMAZING with computers. He can fix anything - if it's on a computer. Then I thought of all the people (mom, mom-in-law, friends, siblings) willing to watch my kids when I have an appointment, or I just need a little escape (Sean - you are an angel). I thought of all of the amazing people I serve with in my church responsibilities, easing my burdens and making them light. My kids are definitely heroes to me, as well. They are often very kind and helpful with one another. I am particularly in awe of them when they show the love to one another that escapes me from time to time.

I think we are each heroes whenever we can reach beyond ourselves and put another's needs or desires ahead of our own. Sometimes it's a little thing, like stopping for a cuddle with a kiddo when you really don't have "time". Sometimes it's a big thing, like tromping out in the cold and dark of night to warn the neighbors their house might flood, and see if they need help clearing out their garage. Sometimes it is engaging a person in a conversation in hopes a smile will cross their face. Sometimes it is just saying "thank you". We are all heroes. We just don't see it in ourselves. And because of that, here is my blog to let you know you are a hero.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Leslee said...

That is very sweet and insightful. Thank you for helping us all to realize we can be a hero to someone else....even when we don't know it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...