Monday, February 23, 2009

Flower Power

I love ranunculus. It always makes me laugh when I am reading a gardening picture book with captions obviously not written by a gardener. I can't count the amount of times I have seen the name "rose" attached to this beautiful species of spring blooming corms (bulbs, essentially). I drool over these in every catalog (they are very inexpensive in their embryonic state). However I never buy them because funds are generally pretty tight in January (all that post-Christmas financial catch-up), and that's when you need to plant the corms. By the time they are blooming in garden centers across the Willamette Valley, the $6 price tag per plant seems a little steep for what is basically an annual in our climate (somebody please tell me I'm wrong about the annual part).

So what possessed me to buy the gorgeous beauties you see above (yes, I did take those photos)? The same thing that has possessed me to spend thousands of dollars re-carpeting and -countering our house - so that someone will buy it. Someone who probably doesn't even know the difference between a rose and ranunculus, or an annual and a perennial, will walk up to their future front door (currently ours) and say, "What lovely flowers. I think I'll buy this house."

In the meantime, the grape hyacinth will continue poking through the soil to provide a waiting audience for the daffodils and tulips when they finally decide to grace us with their presence (the daffodils in the front bed are notoriously late bloomers).

And the sunny pansies . . . who doesn't love a smile from one of these happy blossoms?
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sara said...

those pictures are gorgeous...i would totally buy your home if i saw your enchanted flowers, it's those little touches that may catch someones eye!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...