Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dancing Around Issues

'Tis the season for Spring Dance Concerts. Two of my nieces dance. They are both very young and have both been dancing for three or four years each. They both love to dance. I attended two dance concerts within one week. One was an hour and a half. The other was three and a half hours long. Both of them were very good.

I have a limited dance background, consisting of three months of ballet (when I was 6 or 7), four months of tap (in preparation for my high school sophomore musical, Anything Goes), and two semesters of Intro to Dance at good ol' OCHS. I had friends who, like my nieces, had danced since they were three or four years old. I was jealous of their experience at the time. Now I no longer care.

So here is my issue (and I welcome comments): Do I enroll my three year old in "Creative Movement" in September? She loves to dance, but I don't know that she or I am ready for a serious time commitment to the subject of dance. I think she would thoroughly enjoy it most of the time. I am intimidated by the mandatory Spring Dance Concert that spans four performances (only two of which Anna would dance in, thank goodness), and countless hours of rehearsals (been there-done that).

It was also incredibly strange and disconcerting to watch girls from age 3 to 18 dance across the stage a various times. I thought of my Annabelle growing up and dancing in the older classes and it just wigged me out. It's like I have to think about the future - long range plans I want for my child, and what she wants for herself when she is only three. Do I simply provide her with the opportunity? Or am I pushing something on her at too young an age? Or does it give her something to excel in and make her special? An opportunity? Or will it be a waste of time, energy and money?I don't want to think of Anna as a four-year-old, much less a sixteen- or seventeen-year-old. I have issues. I know. Any advice from you all?

3 comments:

Castiel Moyes said...

Well I want to sign Lilly up for a dance class in the fall mostly to help with her toe walking but I also think she may be my natural little dancer. SO! if you find something you are interested in I would love to sign our girls up at the same time! At least we could visit once or twice a week?!

Leslee said...

Signing her up for the class is not pushing anything on her, unless of course she ends up hating it and you force her to continue, but I know you won't do that. Children have to explore many options, just as we do, to find the things they are really interested in. Right now she is very interested in dancing and princesses and fancy clothes. Creative Movement is a wonderful opportunity to let her explore something new. She wants to be a big girl and this may help her to feel like she is going to school too. I say GO FOR IT!

Annalea said...

I'll provide a voice of alternate view. :o) If you don't feel good about it, don't do it. Our little ones are little for such a fleeting glimpse of time . . . and waiting until she's old enough to make a more considered choice of her own isn't doing her a disservice. At three, a child's own home is still a big place to explore, with many, many opportunities for learning and growth.

I say only do it if you're really excited about it. Every child is special, whether or not they have been doing X or Y since they were three. Whether or not she feels special comes from her certainty of the love of her parents--both earthly and heavenly. Go with your gut, MyLiege. You're her mom for a reason. :o) And a darn good one, too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...