Monday, September 7, 2009

President Obama

I just wanted to throw in my two cents since I sent off an email last week to some of you about Pres. Obama's "First Day of School" speech. It was posted online today for any and all to read. I read all the way through it and I was rather impressed. I thought it is inspiring and right on. I am grateful they took out the curriculum with the essay question about "What can you do to support the president?". And I am grateful the speech is not politically charged as it is being given to children, not adults, and that would be inappropriate. But really, as far as the actual speech goes, I think it is just the kind of thing a president should say to the students of this country.

I know some of you think I am politically naive, but I believe freedom of speech extends to everyone, including the president. If there are little pieces in the speech that are distasteful to some, that is fine - you have every right to find it distasteful, but he has every right to say what he believes in his heart is the right thing to say. I don't want to get into a big debate about Obama's economic or health care policies, or his even his internal policies; I just want to say that the man is entitled to voice his opinion - just like you and me. Most of the people who voted for the man are pleased with the things he is doing, most of the people who voted for someone else think the guy is a moron. The country was in the same boat last year, but the roles were reversed. So, go ahead and write your congressman and stand up for what you think is right - fight for it! But please, don't hang the president for exercising those same rights.

(I think I am saying all of this now because I will not say a political word in Sunriver (it's a confrontation-thing), but I want you all to know where I stand.)

4 comments:

Ducheznee said...

I think you/we may have been misled by the original supposed content of Obama's speech. That "I pledge allegiance to Obama" video of celebrities looked more like an old campaign commercial. It also would not surprise me to learn that the White House deliberately allowed us to think that the context would be political in nature, just so that it could call us "silly season" (seriously - that's what they said).
Of course, I did find one part of the transcript with which to take issue: "if you quit on school – you’re not just quitting on yourself, you’re quitting on your country." Personally, I think "the people you care about" would be better suited. The younger kids, especially, don't yet grasp the concept of 'country'. And I think the premise that staying in school is akin to walking into the recruiters office is rather weak.
Okay, actually there were two things: "You’ll need the creativity and ingenuity you develop in all your classes to build new companies that will create new jobs and boost our economy." These are the first words out of his mouth that actually make sense from a 'stimulus' view - that people drive creativity and ingenuity and that companies create jobs and boost the economy. And that didn't cost anything to say it. Can we have our $3 trillion back? Unfortunately, the payback from this generation of students will be a long way off. Guess he shouldn't have smothered the private industry we already had.

Douhet said...

I just watch the live broadcast. I also think he did a good job and hopefully helps encourage kids to work hard in school. However, based on the reports that were given last week, I don't think his first draft was as neutral as the speech we heard today. I think because of the opinions and concerns that were expressed by parents and school leaders, his speech was simplified and directed only to education.

I still don't think it should have been shown to all of K-12. I think 6-12 would have been sufficient. I know my kindergartner would have a very difficult time sitting through the speech even though it was only 20 minutes long. I'm sure my second grader would have the same problem. The speech was good but well over their heads. Incidentally, our grade school did not show the speech because they don’t have cable.

Leslee said...

I agree with the others. I think he did a good job and the speech was uplifting and encouraging to the kids. I agree that is what he should be telling the kids. I also believe if he would act on some of what he said like "people drive creativity and ingenuity and that companies create jobs and boost the economy" we would not be in the terrible state we are currently in. His current policies are doing everything in their power to crush small business and end capitalism. Thankfully he did not get into politics in his speech and for that I applaud him. I agree with Douhet that this was probably not the original version of the speech he planned on giving, but it was a good speech for our children.

Sierra said...

I haven't read or seen the piece yet, Alena's teacher called to visit yesterday and mentioned that she should watch it. Maybe we'll sit down together today and check it out. I guess it's good that the POTUS gets in there and tells kids they need to get an education; but in all honesty, my kids don't give much weight to the opinions of perfect strangers, no matter how famous or powerful they are. I think they are much more motivated by the people they love telling them to do a good job and plan for their future. Celebrity has become akin to political power. For some reason, if we see a face we recognize from fictional entertainment, we take their words very seriously. When I really think on it, at the least their opinion should only be counted as heavily as the next-door neighbor's. At the worst, we could presume that they are merely taking on another "role" and displaying their acting prowess. I honestly don't know why this country, maybe the entire world, focuses so much on the entertainers for political ideas and direction. That's my unfamous two cents.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...