Friday, January 1, 2010

Four Christmases

We are fortunate enough to live near all of our family. Consequently we have a multitude of Christmases. First off we head to my brother's gorgeous house for Christmas Eve, a tradition that has been held for as long as I can remember. We always act out the Nativity (well, the kids do it now, thank goodness). My nieces loved their presents and I loved that I made them.

Our second Christmas is post-Christmas-Eve-Christmas -Eve. We had cocoa and Sean read our new Christmas book - The Polar Express. After treats we all opened our new Christmas jammies and tucked in for the night.

Christmas number three is the traditional Christmas morning. We found our three little love bugs sitting ever so quietly at the top of the stairs waiting very patiently for Mom and Dad to wake up and find them. Sometimes their honesty astounds me. We cut way back on Christmas gifts this year and it was so nice. We told the kids for a couple of months that they were only getting a few gifts and they would be small. They grumbled a bit at first, but got used to the idea, and it made for such a sweet, peaceful day. They kids were so grateful for each and every gift they received. What a lovely change from last year.

Last, but not least, we headed over to Sean's parents for Christmas with his family. We all had a great time. I think it is a real treat for the kids to see all of their cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents in just two short days. We are so blessed. The big treat for Christmas day at Grandma and Grandpa's was a basketball hoop with six unique basketballs (one for each child) to play with at Grandma's house. As adults, I think it was the most fun we've had as we spent two child-free hours in Paul's shop assembling the basketball hoop.

Admittedly, we had one more Christmas the next day. Because assembling the basketball hoop took so much longer than expected, we did not get around to our big Christmas feast we had planned at home. I will try to remember to post a picture or two of Christmas dinner.

All in all it was a wonderful, slow-paced holiday. I loved crafting almost every gift we gave this year. And helping Erik make his presents for Sean, Djeryd and Anna. It was sweet and joyful and relaxing and fulfilling. It was busy, but I did not feel that rush-rush hustle and bustle that comes with hitting store after store looking for gifts. Granted, I made about 20 trips to Jo-Ann's in two short months, but it was different than toy stores and the mall. Every year is different so I have no idea what next year will bring with a nine month old. I am sure she will not be as flexible with my crafting intentions as Anna was. I hope I can keep a bit of what we gained this year, though. It was my happiest Christmas in recent memory. Perhaps because my body literally forced me to take everything one day at a time and let a lot of things go. Hey! a blessing of pregnancy.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...