Friday, April 30, 2010

Pinewood Derby

Is it a crime if I admit to heaving a huge sigh of relief Tuesday night after Djeryd's LAST pinewood derby? The next time he participates in any way will be as a father with his own son. Sean and I get to enjoy a two year hiatis (Erik is 6). Yippee, hooray!

I have observed a distinct arc of interest over the past three years. Djeryd's first race was very exciting for all of us. We planned, prepared, bought a cool skin for the car (camoflauge), wieghted and prepped the car days, if not a week, in advance. It was all quite thrilling. Year two was all about improving on the year before and Djeryd felt very "experienced" - he know how it all worked. This year was just a race to get through. Maybe it was the new baby and all the chaos and busyness surrounding our lives, but I don't think so. Where in previous years Djeryd couldn't wait to work on his car, this year he just didn't care. As Sean was frantically weighing the car 15 minutes before we were supposed to be at the church, Djeryd kept saying, "Dad, stop stressing; it's no big deal." (I really don't think Sean appreciated that. ("You're a good man, Charlie Brown."))

I think the high point of the evening for me was Erik actually sitting on my lap, for however brief a time. The picture below is one in a million for our photo album. It makes me so happy. (You will note my father to the left in the picture in full scout uniform - what a cool guy.)

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...