Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My First Crazy Skirt

baby, skirt, Evans 030

All right, everyone, here it is.  Ta-da!  This is the “18 mos.” skirt I started last post.  It is very large and actually fits Annaliese (4-years-old) perfectly.  I love it!  (Thankfully the finished measurements are included in my new little book, so I could make the dress in just the right size for Anna’s measurements regardless of what was supposed to be the right size for her age.)

baby, skirt, Evans 031

The top-stitching is one of my favorite elements.

baby, skirt, Evans 032

Anna picked out all the fabrics, after she agreed to the pattern I picked out.  I think she did an amazing job coordinating them.  I think there is some serious artistic potential in that girl.

 baby, skirt, Evans 033

Admittedly, the only part I do not like is that green stripe at the bottom.  I tried to talk Anna into a fabric that was a little lighter and a touch yellower.  She would not budge. Grrrr.  I did not buy very much of it (because I secretly hate it) and my original intention was to make a ruffle with it.  Consequently I cut it on the straight grain and not the bias grain.  Valuable lesson learned, although binding tape can be made on the straight grain, it should not be made on the straight grain.  The binding does not lie properly.  I also wish I would have chosen a more decorative stitch for attaching it – like a flower stitch.  I may go back and fix it, but probably not.  Chalk it all up to experience and move on to my new projects.

baby, skirt, Evans 035

The bottom line is that it is adorable.  Just don’t look too close at that stupid green trim (look really close at everything else).  I love the ruffles, the contrast stitching, all the colorful fabrics.  It was such a fun skirt to make.  The pattern was very easy and went together quickly.  I want to make about five more, but I’m moving on to try my hand at pants this week.  I have been dreaming about these for a week-and-a-half, and should go together much quicker because I can see every last design detail in my head right this second.  I am so excited!

 baby, skirt, Evans 038

Actually, I guess the real bottom line is that Anna loves it – totally completely loves it.  I have not been able to get it off her and into the wash.  As far as lessons learned go, aside from the bias tape lesson, I learned the power of basting.  I always viewed it as an obnoxious, time-consuming, extra step, but it is not.  Let me tell you, things go together so much smoother with just a little extra basting – definitely a sewer’s friend.  Couture houses baste constantly.  Now I know why.

 skirt 001

This is the only shot I could get of Anna in that skirt as she was being less than cooperative yesterday.  Love that swing.

3 comments:

Leslee said...

That turned out very cute. I can't wait for you to visit work again with Anna in her new skirt!

Annalea said...

Awesome job, MyLeige. I love it. :o) Almost thou persuedest me to pull out my sewing machine again and use up some of the many stashed fabrics I have for my girls . . .

And I kind of like that green stripe. It really makes the leaves and vines pop out from the flowery fabric, helping to balance out the yellow and pinks peeping out from underneath the top layer. Way to go, Anna. ;o) Definitely some great potential!

Sierra said...

That is amazing! I'm reading Vogue Sewing -Revised and Updated. It is very couture, some details are even haute couture. I'm not really interested in doing all that detail work myself. I guess it's just not my personal style, as evidenced by my clothing and accessory choices every day. However, although I don't want to do it myself, I have learned to appreciate it in others work and your work looks gorgeous and so individualistic. Emma is planning on wearing the dress on Friday for our Fiesta. She actually calls it the "fiesta dress". I'm going to blog about the one I made for Alena really soon. Not nearly so detailed or interesting to look at, but there you go.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...