Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Movie Review: Tinker Bell

I know it’s silly, but the Tinker Bell movie makes me cry every time I see it.  I think it is beautifully drawn.  I love the wonder of the seasons.  I love the creative use of natural elements.  I love the music.  I love the voices.  I love the story.  One of the things I really admire about John Lasseter films is the way they portray the human condition.  From Toy Story to Finding Nemo to The Incredibles.  They are all stories that teach us something about ourselves – about who we are or who we were or who we want to be. 

Tinker Bell is the story of an individual trying desperately to find her place in the world.  After being told where her talents lie, she rebels, trying to be something she isn’t, something she was never meant to be.  It is not until a tremendous amount of damage is done to others and herself, that she finally turns to who she really is.  I could get really philosophical and relate all this to the Plan of Salvation and our eternal identity as children of God and the horrible mess of “identity crisis” we go through in this life, but I won’t.  Suffice it to say, when Tinker Bell finally embraces her true identity she creates miracles.

I love watching this movie with my daughter (my boys, too, but it is kind of girly).  I love that somewhere in her subconscious the message of this movie is sinking in – that being the best at who you truly are (a daughter of God) is what will bring you your greatest joys.

1 comment:

Castiel Moyes said...

I totally love that movie too! I LOVE the music and I think I could buy the soundtrack and listen to it all by myself. It is Lilly's favorite movie to dance to. They did such a good job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...