Friday, September 10, 2010

Weekend in the Woods

Wilcox Family Campout 338

Every year my family gets together to hang out with each other.  It is the most anticipated vacation of the entire year (at least for my little family), hands down.  We love it!  We love playing with cousins and staying up late and talking and laughing and getting reacquainted with each other.  We normally do this for four or five days in Sunriver, but Disneyland is slated for next year, so we decided to do a family vacation on the cheap this year.  Welcome to my brother’s back yard.  We all pitched tents on their acreage and settled in for two days of fun, fun, fun.

The hottest attraction was a water bottle rocket contraption that my dad and brother made.  It began as this:

Wilcox Family Campout 012

Air from a bike pump gets pushed into the pop bottle half-filled with water, you pull a cord, and yippee, a rocket shoots into the air.

Wilcox Family Campout 167

(You can see the air being pumped into the bottle on this one.)

Wilcox Family Campout 157

The kids all made a rocket and then the dads got involved.  The rockets started getting pretty elaborate after that.  Sean’s swirly ones were my favorite.

Wilcox Family Campout 180

Eventually they upgraded to a foot pump, “cemented” down the launch pad, and moved the rip cord several yards away from the launch site (much safer).  Check out that jet stream.  ;>

Wilcox Family Campout 146

All the little girls sat on the trampoline and screamed out the launch count-down.  They were awesome cheerleaders.

Wilcox Family Campout 029 

Love that baby!  I’ll also take a moment here to mention that on Friday night we celebrated Erik’s birthday with cake and ice cream, had a campfire and watched a movie on the side of the house.  Fun!

Wilcox Family Campout 205

My brother also put together an “Amazing Race” for all the cousins to go on.

Wilcox Family Campout 253 

They got clues and zoomed around to all kinds of fun activities, like cannon building, golfing, and b-b gun shooting.

Wilcox Family Campout 345

This is my very favorite picture of the weekend.  We are fortunate to live pretty close to one another, and yet a moment like the one above is very rare.  Between kids and spouses and general activities it is very unusual for the four of us to be together – like in the same room, in the same conversation – at the same time (sitting around the dinner table on Thanksgiving does not count).  I have so many wonderful memories of growing up with these people.  I can truly say that my favorite people in the whole world are my family.  Mom and Dad, you done taught us good.  I love every last one of you.

And I love my brother’s shirts – seriously – where do you find stuff like that?

4 comments:

The Evans Family said...

Those rockets are awesome!

Sierra said...

Thanks for documenting our life as an extended family! The family trip each year is our most anticipated event too. Too bad Disneyland is set for next year. =)

Leslee said...

You made me cry! I'm sorry I missed Saturday's activities. I love our family trips too. Disneyland is going to be so awesome. I can't wait to just watch the kids enjoy the magic of Disneyland. We will penny pinch to be there!!!

Ducheznee said...

The rocket launch pad has undergone some extensive remodeling in recent weeks and is in need of some testing.

Oh yeah, I think he got that shirt from his company softball team back in the day. Back when SD RAM actually meant something to people.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...