Friday, October 22, 2010

Cinnamon Pretzels

 Van, Activity Days 055I checked out a children’s cookbook called Honest Pretzels a couple of months ago.  I am always trying to get the kids to spend more time creating in the kitchen.  We decided to try out the pretzel recipe because I figured if a kid can do it (remember the cookbook is designed for the young chef), I can do it.  So here is our first go-round of pretzel-making:

Van, Activity Days 064  Djeryd was on a quest to make the longest possible pretzel which just wound up losing its shape in the water bath, but it was fun.

Van, Activity Days 068

The water bath was much less intimidating than I expected.  The whole process was really fun and the kids loved making their own pretzels.

Van, Activity Days 053

After they came out of the oven we dipped them in melted butter and then a cinnamon-sugar mix.  Really, really yummy.  And ridiculously satisfying because a.) nothing beats super fresh baked goods, and b.) we made them with our own ten hands in the happy glow of our own home.  Anna keeps asking for another round – perhaps next week . . . De-lish!

Van, Activity Days 071

3 comments:

Sierra said...

Yum-O! You should try bagels since you've mastered the water bath step. Just toss in a bit of gluten flour to your bagel recipe. They are more "substantial" than the store-bought, but tasty and "fresh, fresh, fresh" (Thanks Djeryd)

Leslee said...

Gee, I wish you had some left over left overs when I was there. It sounds yummy and I would have liked a sample.

Sara said...

why do i wait so long between visits to your blog... for reals? you always fill my soul myliege. how is your back? i want a pretzel... and i want to kiss your babies cheeks! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...