Tuesday, October 12, 2010

HELP – Pass It On: One Million Pillowcases

In August my sister directed me to this website.  It is a quilting magazine that is encouraging the production and donation of one million pillowcases for those in need.  Since I am always looking for crafty service projects, I jumped right on this one.  Unfortunately I did not get around to involving my kids in this one.  I got them all started with my Activity Day girls (all five of them LOVED the sewing) and then finished the pillowcases up at home and sent them on to the Department of Human Services to be given to foster kids in our area.  It was really fun and really easy and pretty quick. 

Van, Activity Days 096 

They have an instructional video at the bottom of the web page that explains how to do this very cool roll-it-up method that encloses the seam along the band.  I did french seams on the sides so there were no exposed seams at all (instructions are on the website).

Van, Activity Days 093

It’s pretty important to line up the fabric edges well so that you don’t have to do a lot of extra trimming when you finish the french seams.

Van, Activity Days 097

Pressing at each and every stage is also key.  I got all eight pillowcases to the same stage and then whipped through each step with the whole stack before moving on to the next step.  It made it easier on my brain since I did not have to constantly refigure out where I was in the process.

Van, Activity Days 106

They fit a standard pillow.  It was a great project and so much fun that I am dreaming up reasons to make as many as I can for Christmas presents.

6 comments:

Castiel Moyes said...

What a great idea! I just got called to Activity Days and I was trying to think up something to do this next activity and I LOVE this idea!

Sierra said...

Very nice! I haven't done this yet. Is it one yard for one pillow case? Is that why they switch on the trim, so you can make them more decorative but not have extra bits lying around? We just got new fluffy pillows and the girls want to make their own cases. So fun!

SMDStudio said...

To make two pillowcases you use 1- 1/8 yds of two coordinating fabrics. That gives you body and trim (alternating) for two complete cases.

The Evans Family said...

Love it! I've heard of the project, and thought it would be a good idea, but of course never got any farther than that! I love to make holiday pillowcases but I've only used one fabric and never gotten any fancier than that. I'll have to try out those instructions.

Leslee said...

That is a wonderful project. Did I miss the website address?

Annalea said...

Here's a fun type of pillowcase with a crocheted edge. (The tutorial is really good, with lots of pretty photos. ;o) Here are some more, finished, for inspiration. I love Cassi's color sense . . .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...