Thursday, January 6, 2011

Resolutions

I love setting goals.  In fact, I set so many goals that I have forgotten more goals than most people will ever make.  I do not reach many of my goals – at least not when I want to, but that doesn’t stop me.  I remember reading about a study done with people who simply wrote their goals down and never looked at them again, versus the people who skipped that step.  Twenty years later the group that wrote down their goals achieved many of their forgotten goals, while the non-writers did not.  This little study keeps me writing every last resolution down on paper – not digitally, but pen-to-paper.

In preparation for 2011, Sean and I sat down in December (with the kids, even) and outlined several goals for our family.  We organized them, typed them up and posted them. . . Then we had a great lesson in Relief Society on Sunday that is making me rethink the whole deal.  The message  to me was simplify, simplify, simplify.

Last year I set a goal to be on Temple grounds at least once a month.  Because that was my sole focus, I accomplished my goal – and believe me given the health problems I have had this year it took extreme focus (and a wonderful husband who drove me all the way out there even if it was only for a few minutes stay).    So it worked.  That was my one big I’m-not-going-to-let-anything-get-in-my-way goal for the year.  And I felt good every month because I kept a very important promise to myself.

This year I feel the need to branch out just a bit and make two major resolutions.  Keep in mind I will continue to set goals regularly like clean my bathrooms every week (I am soooo bad at that), and get to bed earlier,  and work on that darn college degree, and landscape the yards, but I digress.  Are you ready?  Here they are:

Resolution #1: Keep the Sabbath Day holier.  We do an okay job with this one, but with 1:00 church this year the entire day can feel wasted pretty quick if we sleep in too late or spend all morning making an elaborate breakfast or just getting ready.  I know it will be a challenge to be proactive with preparing good uplifting things to do -finding ways to serve and learn the gospel - but I believe the blessings of a more perfect obedience to this commandment will trickle into every facet of our family and personal lives.

Resolution #2: Exercise 5 days a week.  I know what you’re thinking, “Yeah, right.  Everyone does that for about two days after New Year’s.  Big deal.”  Well, unfortunately for me this has become a very big deal.  Because of the injury in my back and recently discovered arthritis in the same area(according to my MRI), I no longer have a choice in the matter if I intend to live the quality of life I have previously enjoyed.  People say you start falling apart once you hit thirty.  It is true!  I am hoping to have a good 60-70 years left on the planet and I have no intention of taking Vicadin for the rest of my life.  So, alas, daily exercise is my only escape from current and future back pain.

So there you have it.  Two goals.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  Welcome 2011 (may you be far better to me than 2010).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...