Monday, February 28, 2011

My First Blouse

I have sewn many things over the past fifteen years of my life.  Some of them were even rather complicated, like a fully-lined reversible child’s coat, and a blessing gown hand-pieced with heirloom sewing techniques.  I’ve made a bunch of other stuff, too, but never to shirt for myself.  I was terrified of having to fit anything as complicated as the adult female body.  No more!  My sister passed on a blouse pattern the other day.  I thought it looked pretty easy and was worth a try. 

Everything was going well, with quick fittings after virtually ever seam.  I was excited.  I sewed in my first sleeve.  It was beautiful – perfectly sewn in.  As soon as I put the shirt on it became frustratingly obvious that my upper arms are larger than the average female my size.  Curses! I wanted to cry!  I wanted to quit!  I wanted to burn my one-sleeved blouse!  So I threw the nasty thing on my work table, turned out the light and walked downstairs with my poor, bewildered husband trailing behind wandering what on earth was going on. 

I was grumpy for the rest of the night, but when I awoke the sun shined in my soul and I had a solution!  A cap sleeve would accommodate my less-than-slender arms.  Yippee!!  Run to the studio.  Measure, trace, pin, snip, baste, gather, set, sew.  And . . .

Grandpa's dog, blouse, snow 055

Ta-da!

Grandpa's dog, blouse, snow 059

Does the term “euphoria” mean anything to you?

3 comments:

Sierra said...

I love it! It looks so pretty and I'm amazed that you came up with sleeves without a pattern piece for it. Great Job!

Sara said...

dude, your sleeve didn't fit because look at the size of that sexy bicep! sooo cute myliege!:)

Joo Lin said...

That is a great looking blouse! Maybe I will ask to borrow the pattern sometime... I can never buy blouses that fit properly!

I love all your sewing projects and I love Anna's skirts... they are so adorable!

(Oh, hope you don't mind I blog stalked you from Adrienne's blog! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...