Friday, February 4, 2011

What Am I Reflecting?

I got a call from my son’s teacher yesterday.  I hate calls from teachers.  Have you noticed that teachers never call to say, “Your kid is terrific.  I sure love having him in class!”  No, they call to tell you everything that is going wrong, which I immediately internalize to mean everything I am doing wrong as a mother.  Inevitably I take out my frustration with myself on my child.  I become someone I hate.

I have not visited the blogosphere much lately because it still hurts to sit at the computer for very long.  But today I happened upon this video via this blog.  And I thought of my sweet boy that I have been yelling at all day.  And I thought about the reflection of himself I am shining back.  It is not a good reflection.  And it is not a true reflection.  I think sometimes we not only see ourselves as the Ugly Duckling, but if we are not careful, we make others feel like the Ugly Duckling, too.  Especially our children.  They are so sensitive to our perception of them.  Do we treat them like Children of God?  Because that’s who they are.

Legos and water drops 137

A couple of days ago I became enamored with these drops of water on my counter.  I thought the lighting was beautiful and marveled at the shapeliness provided by the surface tension of the water.  If Heavenly Father can make something so amazing with a little water and sun on my countertop, how much more amazing is each one of the people in my life. 

And why is it so hard to remember all this stuff when the teacher calls?

2 comments:

Leslee said...

Hang in there. How many of the GREAT geniuses were kicked out of school because they just didn't fit right? They were unique. Your little swan is just as unique. I'm glad you can step back and see him how Heavenly Father sees him now and then. It helps get through the trying times.

Sierra said...

I'm reading a fabulous book right now about figuring out how you and your kids learn best, and then using that information to make school work for them. It's called "Discover your child's learning style". So far, I'm the only one to take the assessment and find out how I learn best, which was interesting in and of itself. I can't wait to get the responses from the kids and shape their study habits toward their strengths. If teachers are willing to work with you and your kid, the classroom can be a great place for learning.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...