Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Fence That Sean Built

New Fence 016 

Many moons ago we bought our lovely, fenceless home. Many moons after the purchase we began putting up a fence to keep our children in and the multitude of visiting soccer players out (we back up to several soccer/lacrosse/football/track/insert-favorite-sport fields). Today we finally finished it. It has taken over a year to put up the perimeter fence. In all fairness to my sweet husband, I had a baby and threw out my back last year dumping any and all burdens squarely onto his shoulders.

Hike, Path, 1st day of school 228

A little twist in our story is our once-lovely arborvitae hedge. It was not doing any favors for our neighbors and so, in the interest of keeping everyone happy, we ripped it out a few weeks ago (I was very sad to see it go, and looking at the difference in the pictures above and below is making me even sadder).

Easter and Magic 045 

New Fence 014 

It is all finished with cedar fencing now, but I forgot to take a picture(you can see bits of it behind Lu). It looks the same as the other side of the yard.  The silver lining to that part of the story is we gained some square footage in the vegetable garden to put in another raised bed. Yea!

 New Fence 023

My dad has given up two Saturdays in a row to come on out and help put this little beauty up. I was even able to help hold boards and things and actually contribute to a family project. Yippee!

New Fence 024

Erik worked his tail off most of the day.  Djeryd has been sick, so he was kind of hit-or-miss, but he tried and I’m grateful he was outside with us.  (All the swimming suit pictures were taken last weekend, when it was actually kind of warm.  They are totally random pics.  The kids were on an impromptu Easter egg hunt and I was just snapping shots at anything that moved.)

Easter and Magic 021

Above is our yard sans fence.  Below is privacy . . . at last.   I sat down in one of the chairs for just a few seconds today and I couldn’t see anything except my own yard and house and family and it was heaven.

New Fence 025 

Yea Sean!!!! (And all of the other contributing hard workers!)

P.S. The yard is our big project this year. There will be many more pictures and stories documenting our transformation over the next few months.  Make sure you pop in for a looky-loo.  I hope it will be nothing short of amazing.  ;>

1 comment:

Amy said...

Congrats! That looks like a big job. Having a fenced yard is definitely a dream I want in my near future!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...