Friday, April 15, 2011

Movie Review: Ramona and Beezus

For Alyx’s birthday we watched Ramona and Beezus, the 2010 release starring Disney golden girl, Salena Gomez.  I cannot say enough good things about this movie.  It was charming, funny and touching.  It is a great family film in that my entire family loved it, big brothers, little sisters, Mom, Dad and grandparents.  The last time we saw a movie we all enjoyed that much was the first National Treasure.  I, unlike so many others, did not grow up reading the Ramona books.  They somehow slipped under my radar of interest.  However, since watching the movie, Erik brought home the original book Beezus and Ramona from the school library and we have been gobbling it up as a family.  The stories are hysterical and the boys love hearing how much trouble one little sister can be (Anna has nothing on Ramona – thankfully).

Back to the movie.  A great thing about the movie right off is that the family actually looks like a family, including Aunt Beatrice; they just look like they go together.  I felt the family relationships were realistically portrayed, and because of that I could completely relate to the characters, from Ramona up through Beezus and even both parents.  It was full of hope and forgiveness and the best kind of intentions.  The only thing I had a hard time with was the wrap-up of the film.  Without spoiling the ending, I will just say that I thought the father’s final job choice was unrealistic due to wages, pure and simple.

In short I highly recommend this film whether you are a Beverly Cleary fan or not.  It was fun and sweet and made me oh, so grateful for my wonderful family.  I love movies like that.

Kids’ favorite line of the film: “I’m gonna say a bad word . . . Guts! I hate guts!  Guts! Guts! Guts!”

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...