Tuesday, April 19, 2011

OMSI: Lost Egypt

2011-03-20 OMSI

During Spring Break we took a trek up to OMSI with Sean’s side of the family.  They are currently hosting an exhibit entitled “Lost Egypt”.  I was very excited to see this for a couple of reasons.  Number one: Egypt is cool (duh).  Number two: My daughter is named after the Library at Alexandria (which was in Egypt).  Number three: Djeryd and I just finished reading a book about a mystery that takes place in the Valley of the Queens (39 Clues - book 4: Beyond the Grave).

My very favorite part of the entire day was walking through a small room with a placard outside it that said: “Caution: This room contains actual human remains.”  The ribbon of placards and pictures told the story of a young Egyptian girl whose body hundreds of thousands of people have stared at through glass over the past several years.  It was  . . . oh, I cannot think of a word . . . awe- inspiring, reverent, peaceful, intriguing, fascinating . . . is there a word that means all those things?  I was enthralled and entranced wandering through the entire exhibit.  As with the Leonardo di Vinci exhibit I could have spent hours in the hall all by myself being immersed in history.  It made me want to write a short story or a novel or anything just to fall into that world for a while.

We had a wonderful day starting with breakfast all together and packed full of fun times just being together and exploring the world of science.  Thanks everyone – we had a great time!

1 comment:

Sierra said...

We also really enjoyed that exhibit. I was fascinated by the mummy room. I made Savannah wait while I read every scrap of information they gave us. I so wish mysteries like that could be solved with certainty. To think that young lady's family may have never known her fate. To think that the remains lying beneath glass are those of a real person who lived and breathed and had hopes and dreams of her own. Kinda puts a different perspective on reading the Bible and Book of Mormon when you can see the mummy of someone who lived at the same time period.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...