Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Modesty Is the Best Policy

Annaliese got her first Barbie doll for Christmas from her sweet Aunt Heather.  I was very excited and a little nervous about apparel for this little piece of plastic.  It is virtually impossible to find decent clothing for a Barbie doll these days.  The great part is that it allows Anna and I the opportunity to become clothing designers – Project Runway: here we come!  I had never sewn Barbie clothes before and had only heard that they were tricky and tedious.  My friend sent me a great little link that I perused this morning and then took it from there.  Anna did some of the sewing and between the two of us this took about an hour.  This is our first outfit:

Djeryd's toys, Barbie clothes, wall words 143

(Yes, I know this photo looks disturbingly like she has been recently strangled.  I will stage it better next time.)

I love that as we were discussing sleeve options (straps being the easiest), my smart little girl very firmly told me straps did not cover her shoulders well enough and she would need a sweater or something if we chose to do straps.  (I feel like we came up with a nice compromise.)   I was so proud of her for insisting on modesty – even in play.  And I can’t wait to show you what else the two of us dream up together.

2 comments:

The Evans Family said...

Don't you love it when the kids actually get what you've been teaching?? Way to go Anna! I love the dress, that Barbie looks stylin' (even if she does look strangled). Glad you could get some inspiration from that blog. Like I said, I probably wouldn't ever use it! Don't know why I had mentally filed that...

Leslee said...

I think that is awesome. The dress looks darling and I'm so pleased with Anna's choices. You are doing such a GREAT job raising your children. I am always impressed with how much they know and do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...