Friday, July 15, 2011

Anna’s Birthday (a catch-up post)

A couple of months ago our dear little Annabelle turned five years old.  This was a very big birthday for her as it marks the legal age she can finally go to school (she asks me at least once a week if school starts tomorrow or if it is time to buy school supplies).  She had a rather ambitious list of unrealistic presents (cell phone, ipod, a car with a motor) and a couple that Mommy would actually buy/make (dress-up shoes, puppet).  As is customary in our family, the birthday celebrations ran over several days including roses from Daddy on her big day, dinner at her favorite restaurant with the whole family and Grandmas and Grandpas a day or two after her actual birthday, and her “butterfly tea party” was held on the following Saturday and proved positively magical.

2011-05-07 Anna's Birthday

They made clothespin butterflies and ate butterfly-shaped peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  They played Blind Man’s Bluff  and Duck, Duck, Goose.  They ate purple butterfly birthday cake.  They counted butterflies on the walls and drank from butterfly straws.  My favorite part of the party was that each of her cousins crafted little handmade cards to go with their gifts.  Individually, they took the time to read their card to Anna before she opened her present.  It was so sweet and perfectly illustrated how thoughtful these wonderful little girls are.

Easter and Magic 064-1

To my Annabelle:  I love you and I am sort of sad you are five.  I know I should be happy you’re growing up and heading out into the world to make it a better place, but sometimes I want to hang onto you so tight it hurts my heart.  At this point I don’t know if the letting go will ever get any easier.  You are my buddy, my helper, my little Angel Anna, and I am so proud to be your mama.  Happy birthday, ladybug.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...