Monday, July 18, 2011

An Exercise in Green

2011-07-14 Anna's green project, park

I don’t know about you, but my kids cannot seem to make it through a whole day without someone getting angry or feeling left out by their siblings.  I am not usually very good at dealing with this, but I’m working on it.  The other day I came across an idea while perusing my favorite blogs.  She suggested handing off the camera to your child with an assignment to keep them busy for a while.  I tried it out and it worked pretty well. 

Anna was complaining that her brothers would not play with her or let her in their room.  I handed her the camera, told her to pick a color and then find as many things in the house as she could that were that color (the pictures of outside were taken from the office window).  She needed a lot of hand-holding (me pointing out things that were green), and it was more short-lived than I would have liked.  However, the upside has been that I have been able to call her back to the activity whenever a quarrel starts to brew.  Taking the pictures off the camera, looking at them, sorting them, creating the collage, and now the blog post, have all headed off a mini explosion of some sort. 

While brainstorming one of the last of Djeryd’s Faith in God requirements I suggested he do a photo exploration of things that represent his faith.  He has not done it, but I keep thinking I should do it.  This little activity with Anna may prove to be the perfect catalyst for getting my camera in my hand and opening my eyes to a discovery of the visual elements of our faith.  I will share it when I’m finished. 

In closing, Anna wanted to compose part of the blog post telling about her pictures.  The remainder of the post is straight from her cute mouth.

Annaliese’s green pictures.  Alyx. I took a picture of her and she had green pajamas.  And so I took a picture of the waterfall river.  That’s it.  (Then you can write, “I love you, Annaliese.”)

1 comment:

Sierra said...

hilarious! I loved Anna's words. Like a stream of consciousness. It sounds like a fun project, and I may have to use it. All my kids are fascinated by the camera. The other day Emma was making a funny face and Savannah grabbed a cell phone a took a picture of her. Without any help or guidance from me or Shonee.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...