Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Garden in the Making

Thanksgivagain 017

We got these beauties in the ground right before Thanksgiving and I am dancing with giddy glee.  These are all perennials we started from seed last winter.  Yea!!!  They moved out of their milk carton pots in early summer and into the raised beds to get nice and bulky before being planted out in the yard.  My horticulture instructor taught me to get my perennials in the ground in the fall so they can settle in before winter (I’m not sure if I met that mark) and be all ready for blooming in the spring.  Sean spent all last summer shaping the yard and this year we get to plant it!!!  Yea!  Oh, how I miss my roses.  But, man, am I ever excited to start pouring over seed catalogs and graph paper come January, coloring in rectangles for cosmos and snapdragons, tomatoes and apple trees.  Happy future spring!

2 comments:

Annalea said...

Oh, I'm so excited for you!!! When we bought our little house six years ago, we got a garden package from Bluestone Perennials, and I love love loved it. I found some new favorites, and the plants grew so very, very well.

That bed looks just lovely . . . I can't wait to see what it does in the spring! That'll be when I get to start working on our garden in earnest, out at the property. (You should go check out the new blog, and see the photos. We're getting closer!)

Sierra said...

Hurrah for changing seasons and changing interests. One can't have only one passion all the time. One of these years, I think I may actually get a garden planted that will sustain itself eventually. I love perennials!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...