Thursday, December 22, 2011

Two New Skirts

Purses and skirts 045

I made these two skirts in September while my camera was still out of commission. I finally got around to photographing them so you all can see (how nice of me, I know).

Purses and skirts 047

I came across this wonderful tutorial on Simple Simon & Co.  The only reason I did not whip out a few more was because cold, icky weather was already setting in and it was time to put skirt-making on the back burner for a while.

Purses and skirts 050

I made the gingham one first.  In an effort to avoid the somewhat tedious rolled hem (especially on a circle skirt), I lined the blue flowered one with some yellow satin.

Purses and skirts 053

Next time I am going to use bias tape for the hem.  I think it will add some body and a nice design element.

Purses and skirts 057

I love the contrasting turquoise ribbon and topstitching.  Sometimes I worry about adding a strong color like that because I feel it might limit what the garment can be paired with.  But my experience tells me to relax and just trust my gut.

Purses and skirts 062

Incidentally, the pattern allows you to completely customize your pattern.  I have made this same skirt, perfectly sized, for my niece and an American Girl doll.  Now I just need to make one for moi.  Oh, I can’t wait for skirt weather to return. 

P.S.  I tried to get some pictures of Anna wearing her swirly threads, but the lighting in this cold, gray yuckiness is lousy.  I’ll try again when it warms up and sun comes out.  We usually get one or two nice days in February, and then again in May. ;>

2 comments:

The Evans Family said...

Love them! I pinned that tutorial a few months ago because I loved the skirt so much. I probably won't ever get around to making them though. I guess I'll just have to pay you to make one for me...=-)

SMDStudio said...

I would be delighted to make whatever you like. ;>

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...