Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012

I have decided I do not like “resolutions” this year.  I feel like a resolution is a promise, a binding contract.  If I don’t fulfill it then I feel like I have lied to myself or broken a promise.  I’ve had that happen way too much over the past several years and I always feel so crummy inside.  So this year I have simply compiled a list of things I am looking forward to accomplishing.  If they don’t happen it will be okay because it will simply mean I accomplished other things that were not part of my consciousness in January.  So here’s my list of future happy things:

:: filling my empty flowers beds with luscious plantings

:: learning to play a song on my guitar

:: attending the temple once a month

:: making my first quiet book ever

:: paying off our van

:: making birthday dresses for my two girls

:: studying scriptures as a family every morning

:: entering some lovely items in the county fair

:: walking 500 200 miles (When my husband informed me that 500 miles comes out to about 10 miles a week, I laughed (it actually came out as more of a snort, unfortunately), and I reconsidered this “future happy thing” for the new year.)

:: learning some of the wonderful things I can do with my new camera

What kinds of things are you looking forward to this year?

1 comment:

Sierra said...

Walking 500 miles in a year is certainly ambitious. Shonee's goal last year was to hike 180 trail miles, and he had to take a lot of hikes to manage that. I can teach you a song on your guitar on Friday.
I really like the idea of listing hopeful plans rather than resolutions. You are right that when we don't get to one, it's because we're busy with something else that was unexpected in the dead of winter. We're sitting down for Family Night next week to work on our own "lists" for the year.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...