Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Loving Lu

Djeryd's Birthday 013

There is just something about this girl lately.  I don’t know what it is, but I simply cannot get enough of her.  She is changing so fast with something new to show me every day.  I am astounded at the things she is picking up, how she folds her arms for prayers without ever being really physically taught that – she just noticed that’s what we all do so she does it too.  She jumps and spins just like her big sister.  She pushes the nose on her singing pig so she can dance to the music and move her mouth like she’s singing along.  She has lately taken up perusing books in her crib when I lay her down or occasionally insisting on a short reading before bedtime snuggles (we read to Anna every night, but Alyx is usually nursing or in the crib during that part of the evening so her observation of reading at bedtime is peripheral).  She plays with Legos alongside her brothers with remarkable dexterity for a little person who has not yet reached the ripe old age of two.

Djeryd's Birthday 086 

She pops her newborn binkie in her mouth only while she is trying to feed her dolls a bottle (I have no idea where she got that one from, but it makes me laugh).  She has one dolly that cries when you squeeze its tummy.  This is Lu’s favorite.  She gives it a good squeeze, snuggles it till it stops crying, hands the baby off to me, then takes it back, squeezes the tummy, and we start all over again.  After receiving a nightgown for Christmas she refuses to wear pajamas with feet anymore, and tries to wear a skirt or dress nearly everyday.  I feel a sly little sense of humor with this one, too – she has a terrific poker-face.

Red Flower Shirt 057

For the past twenty-one months Alyx has summarily dismissed Sean on all but the rarest occasions.  This week, however, they had a breakthrough.  Something clicked (I think it had a lot to do with Jelly Bellies and Hot Tamales) and she finally said Da-Da and ran to the man.  It was as if the world stopped.  The entire family was in the hall at the time and we all just stopped and stared and kept quiet for Daddy to finally to have his moment with his baby girl.  A few tears could be spotted on cheeks here and there.  I think Sean almost burst with joy.

Red Flower Shirt 056

Now they are buddies. 

Like I said, she surprises me everyday.

2 comments:

Elder and Sister Wilcox said...

YEAH for Dada. I know exactly how he feels. Now if we can get her to say Grandma!!!!

Sierra said...

Yay for Alyx! She's the cutest little munchkin. I just love her to pieces!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...