Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Five-Year-Old Fashion

I know my mother used to seriously roll her eyes at some of my wardrobe choices during my school years.  I only have one clothing memory for Kindergarten.  It was a lovely polyester double-knit royal blue dress that I wore with knee-high socks and Mary Janes.  Awesome. 

Yesterday morning when Anna stood at the top of the stairs in this lovely ensemble it took everything I had to simply smile and tell her thank you for getting dressed without reminders.  I wanted to tell her any one of those elements would be enough to make an outfit and that all together it seemed like overkill for anything less than playing dress up.  But I kept my mouth shut and reminded myself I am here to nurture healthy forms of self-expression and the precious self-esteem that is so closely linked to it.  She felt beautiful and happy and oh, so fancy.  So I smiled and hugged her and took her picture.Images of Greatness 003We flipped through the pictures on the camera to make sure we got a good shot.  From over my shoulder she asked, “Don’t I have a pretty camera smile?”  Oh, you make me laugh, girly.

Do you have any clothing memories from childhood?

3 comments:

Sierra said...

I especially love the size 3T dress she's using as a tunic.
My most vivid memory is my black-and-white outfit: black beret and gloves, black and white striped top, black and white checked skirt, black and white striped scarf, white socks and black shoes. The height of pop-art fashion.

SMDStudio said...

I so remember that outfit! Oh, the eighties . . . ;>

The Evans Family said...

My worst outfits came in junior high when I was plenty old enough to know better...
Anna brought a smile to my face and reminded me of Emma at that age. She looks beautiful! =-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...