Thursday, February 16, 2012

Little Pile of Luscious

Hair Flowers and Braces 011

I have a friend who makes the most adorable hair clips.  I mentioned that I would like to have a little workshop with her and she graciously obliged.  She sent me a link to this tutorial and assigned me the job of ruffling the fabric (I have a special foot for this, so it is a walk in the fabric flower park, so to speak), and she would handle the rest.

Hair Flowers and Braces 007

I only managed to get one flower done in the hour-and-a-half we worked on these at her house (mostly because I was busy wrapping a headband with ribbon, prepping it for it’s gorgeous bloom).  A little later in the day I attempted another and it only took me twenty-three minutes.  And then I just couldn’t stop.  Isn’t that the definition of obsessive-compulsive? 

Ribbons, ruffles, buttons, embroidery floss and massive amounts of hot glue sticks overtook my kitchen counter for days as I whittled away on my stack of ruffled fabric strips (which I compulsively (that word again) kept replenishing).  A couple of flowers are missing from these pictures.  I spiraled one around itself and turned it into a lapel pin like the green and black ribbon clip at the bottom.  I want to do another one like that in the turquoise and black fabric.  Someday.  I finally had to stop this whole flower-making-frenzy and move on with my life (Lu’s birthday is coming up and I have so many things I want to make her).  Sean never said a word of complaint through the mess, but boy, oh boy, did he make a big deal about how clean the counters looked when I finally relocated all my supplies back in the studio.

Hair Flowers and Braces 015

Aren’t they pretty?  I just want to look at them.  For hours, really.

2 comments:

Sierra said...

Lovely! I am picturing them on Anna and Lu and everywhere. So fun to have a passion (my preferred term). Obsessive has such a negative connotation. By the way, can't wait to see the boy in braces and the blooms on Monday!

The Evans Family said...

I had to look again, they ARE so pretty! I had so much fun creating with you. Thanks for ruffling all that fabric. Hopefully I will be able to make the rest of mine soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...