Friday, February 10, 2012

Movie Review: Secret of Moonacre

Secret of Moonacre  had been popping up repeatedly on my Netflix suggestions.  Yesterday I had the good fortune of being miserable enough to find nothing more enjoyable to do than sit on the couch and while away the entire day watching random movies.  This one finally had its day on my computer screen (we don’t have a television).  The film was absolutely delightful.  I will definitely watch it again.  It was humorous, dark, light, very colorful and quite charming.  I found the climax lacked a climax, but its lightheartedness made it a good choice for our whole family (in other words Annaliese found the ending plenty scary while the rest of us just bounced along pleased as punch to be watching a movie in the middle of the week).

My favorite, favorite part was the costumes.  They were gorgeous!  I loved how they took a period movie and made the costumes so very modern and magical.  The construction details were amazing, the fabrics were beautiful, and it was all so delightfully creative.  I seriously want every single one of those dresses hanging in my closet just to look at and be inspired by.  Wow!

If you haven’t seen this movie and have kids I highly recommend it.  If you love sewing I double recommend it.  And if you are like me, who has kids, loves sewing, and can’t soak up enough nineteenth century costume (and early twentieth century), then I triple recommend it.  Again, don’t hold your breath for an amazing ending.  But the journey is well worth the trip.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...