Thursday, March 8, 2012

Cake Boss(es)

Painting al fesco 037

There is some sort of tradition around here that for the Cub Scout Blue and Gold Banquet every year each boy has to make a cake of his own creation for dessert.  The theme this year was something about Knights and the Roundtable.  Erik and I decided on a shield (I did not have the energy for a castle – at all).  Once I cut the shape Anna mentioned that it looked like the CTR shield (which stands for Choose the Right).  Erik, who originally had dreams of golden lions embossed on a deeply colored fondant background, happily ditched his hopes in favor of something he could execute without much help from me (because, as we all know, it is much more fun to be master of one’s own frosting).

Painting al fesco 043

So we covered it in green icing (I only helped a little), and piped the silver details.

Painting al fesco 054

Viola`!  One very proud little boy.  (Incidentally he won the award for “Cake Most Focused on Core Values”.  Love it!)

Silverton 010

A couple of days (and episodes of Cake Boss) later, Djeryd decided to jump on the cake-making bandwagon.  This was created for a little church meeting for the youth in our ward (his little group was in charge of refreshments).  This is his version of Lehi’s vision of the Tree of Life.  Sean helped a little, but this is 90% Djeryd.  The tastiest bit was the strawberry Jelly Belly path (yum!).  I think my favorite part was the spaghetti noodle “iron rod”. 

Silverton 007

I am so proud of both my boys for not hiding their beliefs, or their talents.  I see some great cake in the years to come.  And some great boys.

1 comment:

Steve Wilcox said...

Remember! Cake is only the vehicle.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...