Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Hem

Lenny, dancing, hem 228

My current labor of love is Alyx’s belated birthday dress.  I realized fairly quickly I could not pull off the dress I wanted to make in the time I had left.  So it will be late, but it will be fantastic.  Case in point: the hem.  Handmade piping pieced from a wee scrap of fabric, and custom bias tape made from another wee scrap of fabric.  Just look at how lovely it’s turning out.  I have been hand-stitching the hem so it will be virtually invisible (impossible on the sewing machine).  Lu has been sick and still on my lap for hours at a time, so I’m getting very close to finishing this step.  I am sad she feels so crummy, but grateful to have something calm and relaxing to do while we snuggle.

Lenny, dancing, hem 218

4 comments:

Annalea said...

That's so wonderfully done, MyLiege! I really look forward to seeing it finished. You make such beautiful things . . . . which reminds me. I scored a lovingly-made, simply lovely light jacket at thrift store. I first picked it up because the fabric looked lovely. It's an amazingly soft felt-like fabric, and from my fiber experience (spinning and yarn) it feels like it's got cashmere in it. Mmmmmm. Then I held it up to see what it was (it was lying folded somewhere in the shop), and I could see that it was beautifully made. Seams finished inside and out (are those called french seams?), beautiful princess seams with integrated pockets, collar and cuffs on the 3/4 sleeves tacked gently in place. I really look forward to wearing it. :o) And I knew that if you could see it, you would really appreciate all of the work that went into it, too. It's a dark charcoal, so I can't get good photos this time of year (no snow to reflect light into the house, and not much sun yet), but when there's sun, I'll do my best and blog it.

And a horrible thought just came to me . . . it wasn't with the rest of the clothing downstairs, but upstairs, laid aside somewhere. I assumed that it was something that someone was thinking of buying and then decided against it, but what if it was something someone was wearing, set aside in the warmer upstairs, and forgotten? Augh! It was a few weeks ago . . . I wonder if anyone has gone to the thrift store and asked. (Wouldn't that be horrible!!!) I'll have to call the shop tomorrow . . . I'm not sure if I want to restore it to a distraught owner or keep it! lol

Sierra said...

Wowza! That's a sweet seam! I love the candystripe fabric for everything you use it on.

The Evans Family said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished product. You amaze me!

Elder and Sister Wilcox said...

Ditto! It is beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...