Friday, August 17, 2012

Summer Update

chess, week of Scout Camp 019

It seems like forever since I posted anything here.  The busy-ness of daily life with all four kids at home all day long has made carving out time for creative blog-posting nearly impossible.  Not that I don’t have moments of time to myself, but I am usually so tired of everything else that has gone on during the day that I use that time to read a bit or sneak in a little nap.

I could probably make a complete post about each of these pictures, but in the interest of time (both mine and yours) we will be skimming over that last few weeks of summer at our house.

chess, week of Scout Camp 002

We have played copious amounts of chess.  It’s mostly Erik and me.  And it’s mostly every day.

chess, week of Scout Camp 007

My summer sewing really deserves a post of it’s own, but in case I don’t get around to it I will just say that I sewed six a days a week for 10 weeks for at least twenty minutes a day before I finally threw in the towel on that one to get some balance back in my days.  The sad thing is I have not sewn a single thing since that fateful night of “I want my life back!”  It’s not that I don’t want to sew, or don’t have things to sew.  It’s that without that commitment to myself to do something everyday in the studio, I just don’t get in there . . . which was the reason I set that goal in the first place.  (sigh)

chess, week of Scout Camp 010 

We had one day of painting in the sunshine.

chess, week of Scout Camp 023

And days of painting in the cool of the house.

chess, week of Scout Camp 038

Our craft projects have been really fun and different than our normal standbys.  Lots of glue and paper and popsicle sticks and recycled milk cartons and googly eyes and yarn.  I did not take pictures of very many finished projects.  The process is far more gratifying to me than the finished project when it comes to my kids’ art.  I love watching them so focused and content.  Creating is absorbing and fulfilling for them – that’s the part that is important to me.chess, week of Scout Camp 040

And of course we’ve made some sweet stuff to eat, too.  Very few things taste better than homemade jam.  Ah, summer . . .

1 comment:

Michelle Perry said...

Ah, I want to come to your house next summer. Maybe you can teach me to sew. In moderation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...