Monday, October 1, 2012

Old-to-New Dining Room Set

Dear Deni,

We had such a lovely time at your house last month.  Inspiring, even.  After drooling over all the beautiful, creative things you have done with your home (I remember it from way back when, you know), I have felt inspired to make some changes around here.

Building, Potty Training, Dining Room Makeover 1 030

First, the dining room.  Our table and chairs needed a serious facelift.

Building, Potty Training, Dining Room Makeover 1 037

Taking your lead, we decided to freshen-up what we already had.  So we disregarded all child labor laws and put the kids to work.

Building, Potty Training, Dining Room Makeover 1 035

We also purchase an inordinate number of cans of spray paint.  And Sean rose to the finger-numbing challenge of covering every last inch of faux 70’s wood with sleek black paint.

Building, Potty Training, Dining Room Makeover 1 041

We ate on a modified dining room table that night.

Building, Potty Training, Dining Room Makeover 1 046

And Sean braved four more hours of painting in the dark of night.

Building, Potty Training, Dining Room Makeover 1 057

I love how glossy it all looked under those super-bright lights.

Lu, scouts, mornings, chairs 062

The fabric took a week to arrive, and then it took me another week to find the time to finish the project.

Lu, scouts, mornings, chairs 063

I was urged along by the fact that the seat cushions were not screwed onto the chairs and therefore kept sliding off when people wiggled in their seats (much to the dismay of Alyx and Anna in particular).

Lu, scouts, mornings, chairs 105

Sean spent his lunch hour helping me recover the seats and securing them to the chair frames.

Dining Room Chairs, Tidwell Kids, Emily Steele Dress 002

And viola, we had a new dining room.  And as much as I wanted that set in the Pottery Barn catalog, I’m glad we didn’t have to refinance the house to get “new” dining room furniture.

Dining Room Chairs, Tidwell Kids, Emily Steele Dress 006

Deni, you also inspired me to finish these little blocks I’ve had sitting in the studio for a year.

Dining Room Chairs, Tidwell Kids, Emily Steele Dress 010

Aren’t they cute?

Dining Room Chairs, Tidwell Kids, Emily Steele Dress 012 So, my dear friend, know that by just being your creative, industrious self you have improved our life.  You have made it lovelier and a little more fulfilling.  And now, when I think of a project, and that it might be too challenging for my tastes, I think, “What would Deni do?”  And then I do it.

Gratefully yours,

MyLiege

2 comments:

Sierra said...

That looks beautiful! I am so impressed! What about the table top? Does it still look good enough? There is a spray paint gun that makes your hands happy, I think you can just connect it to any spray paint can. Isn't it fun to be inspired and make changes and find out it's not as impossible as it seems? I'm getting ready to tackle a platform bedframe for Alena, with storage bins underneath. I've talked myself out of it (I won't build it good enough, it will look hokey, it won't be sturdy enough, etc), and then Shonee talked me back into it (it's a good idea, we do need the storage, you'll do fine).

The Evans Family said...

I saw the painted furniture when Grace and I had to make that emergency potty break at your house but I forgot to tell you how good it looked. It looks even better with the new fabric. Beautiful! Isn't it nice to have inspiration to get projects done? I need some of that myself right now. Maybe I should get to know your friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...