Sunday, February 17, 2013

Shelters 101

I believe the only thing Djeryd purchased at Scout Camp last year was book about surviving in all sorts of strange circumstances.  A couple of weeks ago my sweet boy pulled it out to expand his mind.  Within an hour he was tracking down both Sean and myself to see if he could use random materials in the yard and garage.  Since I am always curious to see what creation  he is thinking up I said “yes,” and waited patiently for this to be built:

03-DSC_0563

Erik is almost always good for jumping on Djeryd’s various wagons and this was no exception.  He is an amazing support to his big brother, and Djeryd loves his companionship.  In a couple of days they had worked out the kinks, stabilized the poles, and added a tarp inside the shelter (so you did not have to lie on the grass).  Erik, of course, wanted to sleep in it.  If it was summer time, I would not bat an eye, but we were still in the midst of ickies being transferred from kid to kid and I was not about to introduce a new virus due to immune systems being compromised in the very cold night air.

05-DSC_0575

I loved how they drug Sean out on a Sunday afternoon to get his stamp of approval.  The tent stayed up for a week, not getting much physical use, but a lot of self-esteem building.  I love it when my kids look at something they’ve made and feel that joy of having created something with their own brains and their own two hands.  The ability to create is a true gift. So go do something with it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...