Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Thankfuls

I just wrote four paragraphs about how hard my life is and how messy my entire house is.  Then I stopped, and looked back, and said, “This is a whiney post.”  And so I deleted it.  Because as I was writing about my physical limitations at the moment, I couldn’t help but think of people who are handicapped or permanently disabled or are dying.  And I thought, “Wow!  I am so blessed!”

Every night I write down at least three things I am grateful for.  Sometimes it is something specific to that day, like, “Sean made me a delicious gluten-free, dairy-free banana cake for my birthday today –YUM!” And sometimes it’s more general, like, “Hot water” or “My bed”.

I have so much to be grateful for . . . just to name a few:

*  Within a month this little baby will be out of my belly and in  my arms.

*  Books, books, and more books to while away the hours on my couch.

*  Having the strength and energy and freedom-from-pain long enough to make a whole dinner for my family all by myself.

*  Pencils and paper and pens and notebooks and my dayplanner to sketch and make lists and keep on top of the activities swirling around me.

*  Friends who remembered my birthday.

*  Reading all four Gospels over the past several months and spending a little part of each day walking with my Savior.

*  Finding opportunities to serve, even if they’re small and done from my little living quarters on the couch.

*  Red roses from Sean for Valentine’s Day.

*  Inspiring quotes and ideas (thank you, Pinterest) that help me be a better wife and mother.

*  Moments, that may be few and far between, where I feel so much love for my family I realize nothing in the world could be sweeter than the life I am living right this minute.

Of course, all these nice thoughts are helped along by the fact that the house is nice and quiet with little ones asleep.  The hard part for me is being grateful for all that stuff in the eye of my daily storm.  I’m one of those idiot people that keeps praying for patience – and the Lord lovingly obliges by giving me lots of opportunities to learn and practice patience.  (I’m failing miserably.)  In the meantime, I’ll keep counting my blessings.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...