Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The "Fruit" of My Labors

Who doesn't love cherries and ladybugs? I have been going crazy without fabric (my sewing machine is in the garage, but my fabric is no longer on the premises) and my kitchen table. Last night I decided it was time to take action. I asked Sean to haul the kitchen table out of the garage and back into the house. By 10:00am my kitchen was a sewing room mess - iron, cords, thread, scissors, ironing board, sewing machine, pin cushions, measuring tape, rotary cutter, rulers, mats, etc.

I also went to the fabric store last night and found this adorable fabric. Since deciding to make all my Christmas gifts this year, I have been scanning ideas. For my niece, Rachel, I came across the idea of making a tablecloth/picnic blanket and coordinating napkins for a tea party. I decided to give it a trial run on Anna first. Here it is:

It is a reversible 44" square (I wanted to build in as much variety as possible) with rick-rack edging. The rick-rack was a teeny bit tricky and I had to tear out a section and adjust it. I decided to top-stitch it for sturdiness sake, but I don't think it looks as nice with the black straight stitch. I may forgo this step with the napkins, or use bias binding and make sure my thread matches perfectly. I was very anxious to get sewing and did not pre-wash my fabrics this morning. We'll see what happens after a spill and a wash.

All in all, I think it turned out nice for a little bit of sewing squeezed in on a Wednesday. Hopefully I will get to the napkins soon. Don't you just love the gingham? So, so cute. It should make a darling little set.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...