Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Anna Takes the Plunge

Swimming lessons began on Tuesday for Erik and Anna (Djeryd said: "No, thanks," which is a good thing because he is at Cub Day Camp this week and does not get home until swimming lessons are almost over). Erik was fine and knew exactly what to do (this is his third year). Anna, however, was worth a story. The forty-five minutes (start to finish) proceeded as follows:

:: Anna is excited to walk across the field to swimming lessons. She dons flip-flops and wraps her pink towel around herself.
:: We arrive at the pool and she freezes, stiff as a board.
:: I gently walk her over to her instructor, with much more stiffness from her.
:: Her instructor offers to hold her. This works.
:: Anna begans screaming "I don't like it!!!!" once the instructor has her stand by herself in the water and hold onto the wall of the pool.
:: Anna continues to scream.
:: I began to sweat. What should I do?
:: The instructor picks her up again and does bobs with her and bubble blowing.
:: Anna starts to cry whenever her head nears the surface of the water, but then stops the second the instructor shoots up.
:: Once Anna is consistantly giggling, the instructor puts her back on the wall with the other children.
:: The screaming re-ensues.
:: The sweating re-ensues.
:: I collect her from the pool.
:: We sit on the bleachers and wait for Erik to finish.
:: The last five minutes, all of the kids start to dive, including Anna's class.
:: This is Anna's favorite thing about the water: jumping in it.
:: Anna decides she wants to jump in with the other kids, but classes are now dismissed.
:: No problem, Anna's instructor lets her jump in after all of the other kids are gone, and before the next class starts.
:: They bond with a high-five.
:: Anna gets out of the water, walks over to me, and then refuses to put her flip-flops on for the walk home.
:: She wants "mermaid hair" (wet). She wants to go back in the pool and soak her head.
:: After a brief struggle, involving a lot of screaming on her end (and, of course, staring parents), I simply pick her up and carry her home.
:: She screams her head off the ENTIRE walk home because she wants wet hair.

Does anybody want to cover swimming lessons on Thursday?

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sierra said...

That is hilarious! I think she needed a nap yesterday?

Leslee said...

I can just see her. I think she is going through a growing spurt and just required more sleep right now. She had a melt down today over something Erik had and when I asked her if she wanted a nap she said yes. She walked into her room, grabbed her binky, and climbed into bed. I covered her up and gave her a kiss. I haven't heard a peep out of her since.

The Evans Family said...

That is great, I am laughing! Sorry, busy on Thursday...=-)

Elizabeth said...

My...This has to be one of my most favorites!!! Oh sooo cute!!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...