Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Life

I have been dying to blog lately, but life has been nuts.  I would love to post pictures about my latest projects and my adorable family, but all that is just a little over my head right now.  I am trying to do too many things in too short a time and trying to enjoy it all (seriously, like I am trying to establish a love affair with a never-ending laundry pile – so far the relationship is rather strained).  Summer is fast approaching and the calendar is filling faster than I can schedule.  Two of our kids are giving us a run for our money at the moment.  Yesterday I committed one of my cardinal sins (it is one of my very worst habits – yes, habit, meaning I repeat it constantly): I actually told my daughter cleaning my house was more important to me at that moment than playing a game with her.  Yes, I tried to make up for it, but I still can’t believe the words actually came out of my mouth and into her ears. 

Last night, when all was quiet and peaceful, I was writing in my journal about how much I love my children and love being with them.  Then, this morning, directly after reading half of Elder Ballard’s talk about the power of righteous mothers, I yelled at my son for stuffing all of his beautifully folded laundry into his drawers in total chaos – unfolding many of them in the process.  I’m sure there was a nicer way to handle that one.  I sent my kids out the door this morning with one giant sigh because the negativity of the twenty minutes I spent with my kids this morning was a little overwhelming.  I watched them walk across the field in the rain and almost called them back to drive them to school.  I didn’t.  Instead I went in my room and mourned the morning.  Then, what to my wondering eyes should appear, but two little boys returning home because today is late start (I forgot, like usual).  Yea!  A chance to redeem myself.  A chance to hold my tongue, to say “yes”, to hug them and kiss them again, to say “sorry”, to drive them to school so they won’t get soaked, to listen to them play with one another, to reflect on how much I love being their mother.

I think one of the wonderful things about life and about repentance, about the gospel of Jesus Christ, is second chances.  I know I can always try again.  I can always say “sorry” and start over.  I can always improve.  The potential to be so much more than I am at this moment is always available to me.

Now, I realize in the time I have blogged about the real parts of my life I could have posted some lovely pictures of my baby or a dress I just finished.  But I didn’t.  Instead I shared a piece of me, a deep-down-chocolate-layer piece of me.  Thanks for reading, and still coming back.

5 comments:

Sierra said...

Life isn't all fluffy, lovely things. Thanks for exposing your humanness for the rest of us to read and reflect on. I like Miss Stacy's quote "Tomorrow is a new day, with no mistakes in it." Children are especially willing to let things go after a humble apology from the ones they love best. By the way, Shonee wanted to hike so much, he took yesterday off and we went into the misty woods for a long ramble. It was so fun!

Sierra said...

I misquoted, sorry. It's more like, "Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it." I couldn't find it in my book, and I don't have time to find it on the movie. I just dislike misquoted quotes. You don't have to publish this comment.

Leslee said...

That is so true. After all, you still love me after all I did when you were younger. I, too, am so grateful for repentance.

The Evans Family said...

Thank goodness for second chances!! And of course I'll keep coming back for the good AND the bad, you do a good job of chronically all of it and what you learn from it (I need to be better at doing that). We are all human and we all make mistakes and we all have new chances each day. I like ALL of your layers! =-)

The Evans Family said...

Can I have a second chance??!! I meant to say "chronicling", not however I tried to spell it! =-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...