Monday, September 10, 2012

Summer, Interrupted

I have been really, truly trying to look forward to this day for at least a month.  But in the end I couldn’t quite succeed in my intended attitude change.  I cried yesterday after all my sweet children were in bed with visions of the first day of school prancing through their sleepy little heads.  I came downstairs, walked into the living room and was instantly surrounded by pictures of my loves and I just wanted to freeze time.  Not for forever.  But just for a little bit longer.

First Day of School 032

But today came and went with no regard for my feelings.  Sean trotted off with Djeryd in the early hours, and I trotted off with the littles an hour later.

First Day of School 033

Lu and I tried not to feel forlorn.  Lu stayed busy with puzzles and beads and books and songs.  I stayed busy cleaning out the cupboards in the laundry room.  I came across this quote in my efforts to spruce things up. 

Laundry Quote

(source)

It only made me weepy again.  I don’t normally feel this way when school starts, but this year is different for some reason.  Maybe it’s Djeryd starting middle school.  Maybe it’s having only one child at home with me all day long.  Maybe I’m just realizing how frighteningly fast life is happening.

First Day of School 045

The good part is everyone came home happy and shining with something so fresh and new and exciting in their lives.  I’m happy for them.

First Day of School 046-001

I could not help snapping this last picture as Alyx and I walked through the gate this morning; back into a yard and house that would be so quiet and still when compared to the constant noise and activity of the past three months.  This bit of our life, obviously interrupted.  It’s as if we were in the middle of a great game of tag, screaming in delight and cheering each other on, when all of a sudden the ice cream truck pulled up, and my children are just . . . gone.

4 comments:

Aspen said...

What a great post MyLiege! So well expresses the feelings I hold as well. You have such a talent for expressing yourself in a beautiful way. I am glad they all had a good day.

Sierra said...

Not ALL your children are gone! You still have Lu all day. I am having a bit of a paradigm shift in my life right now with everyone going all at once. The hours are simply crawling by at a snail's pace. But it's so fun to hear about their day when they get home. I am enjoying seeing their worlds blossom. Makes me feel a little selfish for keeping them to myself those years. But I know it was good for them all to have that too.
Thank goodness we still have good weather in the afternoons to get out that last bit of summer fun.

The Evans Family said...

Thanks for making me cry all over again! I agree with Aspen, you do have a beautiful way of expressing yourself, and beautiful pictures to go with it! I love that quote and I love the idea of putting it in my laundry room. It may just have to go up in mine!

Elder and Sister Wilcox said...

My kids have been gone for a very long time and I still cried. Don't get me wrong, I love being an empty nester. But I also miss the days and years when I had my little ones around me everyday. It goes by all too quickly. I am so very grateful that Families are Forever!!!mmu

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...