Friday, December 19, 2008

Disneyland - Summer in the Snow


In the midst of more continuous snow than I have seen since my college days in Idaho, I thought I would bring you all (and myself) a little taste of summer. Here is the much anticipated Disneyland blog. Sean took most of these pictures (as you will be able to tell, since I am actually in the pictures and not him). I hope you will be able to feel the aching feet and sweaty shirts. Smell the churros sold on every corner. Taste the frozen lemonades. Hear the ubiquitous Disney movie music. And here are the sights to go along with all of those wonderful sensations.

Our gorgeous hotel, The Grand Californian.

Annaliese and cousin Brookie.

Cousins in Goofy's Kitchen.


Waiting for the parades was one of my favorite times of the day. We all had a chance to relax and talk and just be together instead of rushing around to rides and sights.


A very rare shot of my brother smiling (he's the one with the camera around his neck (ha,ha)).

Not so good eats, but an incredible atmosphere at The Rainforest Cafe`.

Three cheers for my Cousin Timmy, who got us in the gates every single day!!!


Outside Indiana Jones (fantastic ride, when it's working). Look at the detail in the design elements like the manufactured concrete behind us that looks like ancient stone. Amazing!


The biggest disappointment I have in looking back through all of these pictures is how much we missed capturing on film (digital film, that is). Not only places, like New Orleans Square, but people. No matter how many times I comb through these photos I can't seem to find any more pictures of my kids smiling faces. We don't even have a single group shot of our entire entourage. I wish we had a picture of the train of parents and empty strollers and slow-poke little kids we made as we wound our way around the park.

In all honesty, not a week has gone by since arriving home that I have not had an actual dream about Disneyland. It was fun and pleasant and exciting and completely magical. Our hotel was on park grounds so a couple of days we actually went back to our rooms for naps or a swim in the middle of the day. Does life get any better than that?


I know some people who criticize Disneyland because it seems so small and boring compared to more fantastic versions of itself. But as a former Southern Californian, Disneyland suites me just fine. It is a perfect mix of childhood loves and memories mixed with the newness of reinvented classics (the new Peter Pan ride is beautiful). I love that I can share a piece of my childhood with my children. And I love that they love it. I am wishing my family many happy returns.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...