Monday, December 1, 2008

The Twenty Minute Mile

Although I will never be an Olympic athlete, I have recently begun rudimentary fitness training. About a month ago, Sean and I transported our back-breakingly heavy treadmill upstairs to the only appropriate place we could find indoors - our bedroom. While every interior decorating book I have either pored over or perused assures me this is the most inappropriate place in one's home to locate an exercise device, beggars can't be choosers. The treadmill has mostly been staring at me from its grey backside, begging me to open it up and let it stretch out its limbs. I acquiesce from time to time and run (walk, actually) a grand total of one-quarter mile at a time. This is pathetic, I know.

I have also recently become very alarmed at the likelihood of developing osteoporosis in my later years. I do not drink milk and do not consume a large amount of dairy in other forms. I am also lazy about boosting calcium in my diet through plant life. I was reminded in a health book that weight-bearing exercise, something as simple as walking, can increase bone density. This is something I have heard many times over many years, but as I have struggled with lower back pain for almost three years now, it struck a serious chord this time around. I decided to take action.

So tonight, I donned my workout clothes, set the workout button to a varied routine and pressed "Start". I actually ran for part of my walk because my legs are not long enough to keep up with the 4 mph pace that popped up at staggered intervals. I actually walked/jogged for an entire 20 minutes! I actually sweat! My heart rate actually went up and I sustained it, be it ever so briefly! It was amazing. I felt amazing! And while I know a twenty minute mile is a ridiculous thing to brag about, I am happy for my treadmill; I think it was very grateful for the exercise.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...