Sunday, January 30, 2011

Frank Lloyd Wright House

2011-01-22 Frank Lloyd Wright

Djeryd came home with a school assignment to do a book report on a biography of a famous person.  After a trip to the library and the teeniest bit of encouragement from Mom, he decided on studying the famous architect, Frank Lloyd Wright.  I went through a period of fascination with Wright’s work in my high school years.  I remembered learning about a Wright house that was near Silverton and found out they offered private tours daily.  It was incredible!  It was one of the coolest things I have ever done and I was floating on cloud nine for about three days after that.  The lighting was amazing, the lines, the brilliant construction, the seamlessness between indoors and out.  It was like walking through art – it was walking through art.  Walking through the kitchen was like being in a 1960’s movie.  It felt like Fahrenheit 451, or something.  It was crazy!  I think the hallway upstairs was my favorite part of the house.  Maybe it was how the afternoon sunlight was streaming through the fretwork windows, or how glossy all the wood looked, or the way everything sort of glowed; I don’t know, but it was beautiful.

When Djeryd found out that the people who bought the property the house was on originally wanted to get rid of the Wright house and build something new and modern he was just plain annoyed.  In his opinion only a simpleton would choose luxury over a true work of art by a master of his trade.  Man, I love that kid.

3 comments:

Sean Hawkins said...

It was a very fun Saturday! I felt like we were on vacation. The only thing that could have been better would be to return to the beach house which we weren't staying at. Picnic lunch on the way, ice cream after, and papusas! Oh yeah!

The Evans Family said...

How cool is that?? I have known the house was down there, but I had no idea that they had tours. That sounds like an awesome date with my hubby in the near future! And how perfect for his book report. Emma did hers on Laura Ingalls Wilder. I guess I should have tried to keep up with MyLiege and travled out to her museum...=-)

Sierra said...

It looks amazing. I went and looked it up online after we talked, but they didn't do it justice with pictures like you have on your post. The warm wood, the crisp angles. Very nice. Glad you guys had a wonderful day of it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...