Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Exercise - Love/Hate Relationship - Sean

This last weekend my wife and I decided to change up our schedule to ensure that we are having sufficient time, and thus better success, with personal scripture study, exercise, and family scripture study. Not that we have been doing bad. We simply know we can be doing a lot better.

So, Monday morning, we wake up and start our new schedule. Lately, we have been doing 1 to 1.5 mile walks, but because of the change in weather, we needed to come up with something else to do. Thus enters the “7-minute-workout”. A cool little app on my smart phone that walks us through a bunch of exercises. The way it works is it calls out an exercise such as jumping jacks, pushups, wall sits, etc. for you to do for 30 seconds. Then it gives you a 10 second rest before calling out another exercise. In all you do a total of 12 exercises. (Yes, for those math wizards, that actually adds up to 7 minutes and 50 seconds of total time, but only 6 minutes of actual exercise.) How hard can it be? It is only 6 minutes of actual exercise, right? So, I give it my all. When we get done, we are actually a little winded, but proud of ourselves that we at least did something, however meager it was.

Tuesday morning comes and I go to get out of bed and I can hardly move. Every muscle in my body hurts. My calf muscles hurt. My thigh muscles hurt. My arm muscles hurt. My pectoral muscles hurt. Muscles I did not even know I had hurt. My next thought is, I have to exercise again today. Or rather, do I have to exercise again today? But, heh, we are on a new schedule. I am going to do this! So I start the app which always starts with jumping jacks. My hands go in the air and a groan escapes my lips. Pain, all over! Everywhere! I am in too much pain. My wife starts chuckling from the corner. Man am I out of shape! Here I thought walking those mile or so every day was getting me in shape! Yesterday, Ibuprofen was my friend.

Today is Wednesday! Still very soar! It is going to be another Ibuprofen day. I will get back on the bandwagon, but maybe start a little slower this time. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...