Tuesday, November 24, 2020

The Now Not so Random Chicken Report - Anna Hawkins

The Now Not so Random Chicken Report

By: J. Annaliese Hawkins 

Illustrated by:  Joey Langford

Based on true events (mostly.  Also, sorry to disappoint you, but there are no flying pigs.)


Everybody had left the Thanks-give-a-gain party on the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  Now that all the guests had left, it was time to take care of the  thankful^1 job of animals.  When I walked over to the gate, I heard a rustle in the bushes yonder. A bear?  No.  A coyote?  Possibly.  A vicious animal out to eat me?  Most likely not, but still.  I hurried down the hill, leaving the unsettling thoughts behind me.  As I reached the chicken coop, I heard another rustle.  I looked around fearing for my life. The goats, it was just the goats.  I tucked them in noting the black hen in the corner of the vast room and rushed to the chicken coop.  There were only 8 chickens left. 3 down, not good. I double and triple counted on both my fingers and toes just to make sure my eyes weren’t playing tricks on me.  Still only eight chickens.  Sprinting up the hill, I rushed through the back door demanding an explanation from my dad. He calmly stated that the dog had escaped again and taken out three more chickens while I was at band practice (eating pizza^2. How ironic. Just kidding, that’s not irony.)  I took a deep breath and headed up to bed.


To be continued…

__________

1. It was a very forced thankful mind you, but with it being thanksgiving I thought I should have thankful words at the least.

2. The pizza wasn’t the important part.  It was who I was eating the pizza with. . .


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...