Tuesday, November 17, 2020

The Best Intentions - MyLiege

A few years ago I decided I wanted to make a bed quilt for Elle.  All of the other kids have quilts that I made for them - just for them.  I bought a jelly roll of rose printed fabrics in various pastel shades.  The perfect palette for Elle's first big girl bed.  It was everything I imagined for my last little lady.

 But here we sit.  A full three years down the road from all those intentions and all that work, and it is not finished.  It is still a pile of lovingly made squares sitting in a pile somewhere in my sewing stash.  I do not even know which box it is in.  And now we are off into a whole new stage and color scheme for her room.  In January she will have her own room - all to herself.  She is not a baby anymore.  She's growing and changing every single day and I want her space to reflect who she is now and who she is becoming.  And believe me, as sweet as this little girl is, she's got plenty of spunk inside her and I want to celebrate that in her surroundings.

So I have a half-finished quilt.  A quilt that I still want to finish.  And a quilt that still belongs to Elle.  It's still her baby quilt.

And I can't help but think of all the unfinished projects, started and stopped.  I came to terms with all those projects a long time ago, though.  Some things are worth finishing, some are not.  At this very moment I have a table I'm refinishing in the garage.  I have sanded it all down and it's just waiting for me to decide what color it was always meant to be.  

We made a bookcase for our bedroom on Saturday.  It's waiting for sanding, painting, and a really fabulous paper for the background. 


We also made a sofa table - also needing sanding and staining this time.


And just to add one more project, I cut up some 4x4" posts into little house shapes for a Christmas display.  They also need sanding and paint and some festive details designed by my ladybugs.  

So many projects.  So much to do.  So many wonderful intentions.  The trick is wrapping them up before they slip into the "Lost-But-Not-Forgotten" or "Not-Worth-Finishing" categories. Elle's quilt will get done someday.  Maybe this year, maybe next.  Maybe when she leaves for college or has her own little baby girl.  I'm not worried about it.  I know it will get done.  In the meantime I'm trying to wrap-up what's in front of my face.  Then we shall see what new project wanders onto my radar.  I have a fruit orchard growing in my imagination.  My intention is that February will be full of planting. Or maybe finally stitching up a nice, warm, rose-patterned baby girl quilt will be exactly makes February feel accomplished.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...